Understanding life – the results of 2015
We are the Universe slowly becoming aware of itself.
“Through our eyes, the universe is perceiving itself. Through our ears, the universe is listening to its harmonies. We are the witnesses through which the universe becomes conscious of its glory, of its magnificence.” – Alan Watts
I think that for most people the life journey is based upon the constant struggle to a more comfortable living. We try to make more money, get better education, move to safer cities and countries.
The 2015 was a good year for me in terms of getting my shit in order. The most important things are listed below:
- Started an affiliate marketing website that actually has a potential to grow to the point that it can become my main source of income. I have experimented with affiliate marketing since 2013, but never generated enough sales for it to be a significant source of money. This time I feel like I have tapped into something with a huge potential, and I am very excited to see where it takes me. At the very least, I am learning things that will be helpful outside of my personal projects. I am very eager to work in advertising, specifically web-marketing and SEO, as this is what I currently am very interested in. I feel like the online sales industry has transformed a lot in the past 5 years, and that it will only grow and prosper in the future.
- Started self-educating myself on the subjects that are interesting to me; and learned to like to listen to smart people speak. I started with iTunes podcasts (my favourite ones are from Tim Ferriss, Nathan Latka, and Preet Banerjee); expanded to video interviews with different CEO’s (I realized why everyone loves Elon Musk and Manoj Bhargava so much); and added people doing presentations at schools (my conclusion was that if they are smart enough to be invited to speak at universities, they are smart enough to tach me a thing or two). I also became more confident in my opinion that everyone has something to teach you.
- Started drinking a lot of liquids, and avoiding overly sugary/salty drinks as much as possible (pop, juices with added sugar, clamato juice, etc). It does not feel like a big accomplishment, but it made a difference in the way how I feel – I became more alert, and less passive. A glass of water every hour is what I am at. I also have started brewing (well, making) my own water kefir (I will write about it later), a probiotic culture that aids digestion.
- Started stretching every morning. Before I take the shower, I now do a series of stretches for arms, legs, shoulders and spine. The best part is that every day it feels even more satisfying than the day before. I can now place both my palms on the ground when I bend at the waist with the legs straight (every time I do it, I can’t help but think of this scene).
- Limited red meat intake to weekends and special occasions, and taking fresh fruit/vegetables with every meal. On weekdays I either do not eat meat at all, or eat baked chicken breasts or seafood (mainly shrimp and scallops) instead. I am certain that this has contributed to the fact that I have not yet gotten cold, or otherwise sick during this winter – usually, I get mild flu once or twice before the New Year.
- Hit my savings goal for emergency funds. Finally, I do not have to worry too much about losing the job for at least 3 months (that is unless the banking system collapses, in which case we all are pretty fucked).
I hope that 2016 will only be better than 2015 was.