Exchanging SIN card after the status change

I’ve been going on about how I finally got my PR status and card (I’m really excited, okay?), and forgot to mention that with great powers comes great responsibility. So the documents I have replaced, or will need to replace soon:

  • Sin Card (now the number starts with a 7, not 9);
  • Care Card (well, this one isn’t really replaced, but my Driver’s License is set to expire in 3 days, so I need to obtain BC Services Card, which now is used as both).

Replacing SIN card was fairly simple. I went to Service Canada with no appointment on a Tuesday after work (around 3.30 pm), checked in with the attendant at the front desk, gave them my name and the documents I have to check if I have brought everything needed, and was asked to wait. 20 minutes later, I was speaking to a pleasant agent at his desk, who asked me if I still resided at the same address, checked my personal information (name, date of birth), got me t sing something and gave me a temporary SIN number as a paper printout. This paper was already a legitimate and a valid proof of SIN assignment, and sufficient enough have I needed to present it to an employer. The agent courteously gave me my old SIN number back “as a souvenir”. I thanked him and left.

The documents required to renew a SIN number.

  • Old SIN card / paper printout
  • Proof of address (e.g. a utility bill under your name, or a valid BCID/Drivers License)
  • Proof of Residency (e.g. your PR card, or a Confirmation of Permanent Residence)

Here is an official information page from Service Canada, should you want to familiarize yourself with it.

#how to get a new SIN number#How to renew a SIN card#Simple Vancouver#simplevancouver